27th IUGG General Assembly July 8-18 2019 Montreal CANADA
Beyond 100: The next century in Earth and Space Science
The 27th IUGG General Assembly will be held July 8-18, 2019 at the Palais des Congrès in Montréal, Québec, Canada. This is a special opportunity for participants from Canada and from around the world to come together and share their science and culture. 2019 marks the 100th anniversary of IUGG; we will look back on the accomplishments of the previous century of Earth and space science research, and forward to the next century of scientific advancement. Join us for a host of scientific activities, including special public lectures, keynote Union lectures and a wide variety of themed sessions.
During your stay, you will have the opportunity to explore the city of Montréal, widely renowned across North America and around the world for its vibrant cultural, social and culinary scene. July is a particularly good time to profit from warm weather, outdoor dining and the many festivals taking place across the city.
In conjunction with the IUGG General Assembly, a number of scientific workshops and cultural events are planned. We will also be offering the chance to explore the geological treasures of our region through a number of field trips ranging from half-day to multi-day excursions.
On behalf of the Local Organising Committee of IUGG2019, I welcome you to Montréal.
Chair, Local Organising Committee, IUGG2019
Sciences de la Terre et de l’espace : un siècle de progrès, un autre à bâtir
La 27e Assemblée générale de l’UGGI aura lieu du 8 au 18 juillet 2019, au Palais des Congrès de Montréal, dans la province de Québec, au Canada. Cette assemblée fournira l’occasion aux participants nationaux et internationaux de partager leur science et leur culture. Nous soulignerons le 100e anniversaire de l’UGGI, mettant en perspective la recherche liée aux sciences de la Terre et de l’espace en revoyant les réalisations du siècle dernier et en rêvant celles du prochain. Joignez-vous à nous pour plusieurs activités scientifiques incluant des présentations destinées au public, des conférenciers invités de qualité et surtout, une grande variété de sessions sur des thèmes pertinents.
Pendant votre séjour, vous aurez l’occasion d’explorer la ville de Montréal, bien connue en Amérique du Nord et au niveau mondial pour sa culture, sa société ouverte et ses talents culinaires. En juillet, vous profiterez du beau temps et des nombreux festivals qui se déroulent dans la ville.
Conjointement avec l’Assemblée générale, nous offrirons des ateliers scientifiques et évènements culturels. Vous aurez notamment l’opportunité d’explorer les trésors géologiques de notre région par des excursions sur le terrain, de durée variable allant de quelques heures à plusieurs jours.
De la part du comité organisateur local, je vous souhaite la bienvenue à Montréal.
Chaire, Comité organisateur local, IUGG2019
CANADIAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION (CGU) /
UNION GÉOPHYSIQUE CANADIENNE (UGC)
The CGU began its life as a society dedicated to the scientific study of the solid Earth. It has since evolved to cover all aspects of the physical study of Earth and space processes. Within the CGU, five semi-autonomous sections are defined: Hydrology, Geodesy, Solid Earth, Bio geosciences and Earth Surface Processes. CGU has over 400 members and serves as a national group in the geophysical sciences. It is also responsible for the Canadian National Committee of the IUGG (CNC-IUGG). Since 2013, the CGU has operated as a co-founder and member of the Canadian Societies for the Geophysical Sciences (CSGS).
When registering for the IUGG2019 conference, please enter the rebate code and your membership number to receive a rebate of $50.00. Both are available for members through CGU website once logged in (cgu-ugc.ca member login). You can become a CGU member through membership – application. Click here
General questions: please contact us at:
Abstract and travel grant questions:
The SPC has made the decision to extend the deadline for submission of abstracts to March 1, 2019 at 12:00 Central European Time (CET).
The extension is to accommodate many researchers, who have been affected by technical difficulties, and national governmental regulations.
ONLINE ABSTRACT SUBMISSION
ONLINE PARTICIPANT REGISTRATION
Sign up to the 27th IUGG General Assembly
group to receive conference news
Please fill out the information below. We look forward to emailing you.
Last Name Last Name
The server encountered an error.
First Name First Name
© Tourisme Montréal, Stéphan Poulin, Denis Labine
October 1 2018
• Online registration begins
• Online housing tool opens
October 19 2018
• Abstract submission begins
• Travel grant
March 1 2019 (12:00 CET )
• Abstract submission closes
• Travel grant applications close
CANADIAN METEOROLOGICAL AND OCEANOGRAPHIC SOCIETY (CMOS) / SOCIÉTÉ CANADIENNE DE MÉTÉOROLOGIE ET D’OCÉANOGRAPHIE (SCMO)
CMOS exists for the advancement of meteorology and oceanography in Canada. It is a national society whose aim is to promote these sciences across Canada, and its interests include meteorology, climatology, oceanography, limnology, hydrology and cryospheric science. The Society has a history spanning over 75 years, initially serving the meteorology community then adding the oceanography component in the 1970s. CMOS comprises over 700 members, and is also a co-founder and member of CSGS.
When registering for the IUGG2019 conference, please enter the rebate code and your membership number to receive a rebate of $50.00. Both are available for members through CMOS website once logged in (cmos.ca – member login). You can become a CMOS member through membership – application. Click here
JPdL is our Conference Organiser and strategic partner for IUGG2019. It is a national company with 6 offices across Canada and over 35 years of experience in conference management, event planning and destination management. It manages both national and international events across a wide range of fields and disciplines, and is partnered with numerous organisations from the local to the international level.
SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM - FULL PROGRAM DETAILS TO COME
The Scientific Program will be composed of Union, Inter-Association, and Association symposia, workshops, panels and special events.
Below is a list of confirmed Union Symposia.
Achieving Sustainable Development: The Role for Earth Sciences
Georisk Reduction: Science, Resources, and Governmental Action
Mathematics of Planet Earth: The Science of Data
Data-driven Science for Earth and Space Exploration
New Discoveries in Earth's Deep Interior
Recent Advances and Discoveries in Planetary Science and Comparative Planetology
Centennial of International Cooperation in Earth and Space Sciences
Earth and Space Observations
Early Career Scientists’ Symposium
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF GEOMAGNETISM AND AERONOMY (IAGA) > A
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CRYOSPHERIC SCIENCES (IACS) > C
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF GEODESY (IAG) > G
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF HYDROLOGICAL SCIENCES (IAHS) > H
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF METEOROLOGY AND ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES (IAMAS) > M
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE PHYSICAL SCIENCES OF THE OCEANS (IAPSO) > P
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF SEISMOLOGY AND PHYSICS OF THE EARTH'S INTERIOR (IASPEI) > S
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF VOLCANOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY OF THE EARTH'S INTERIOR (IAVCEI) > V
The first association in the parenthesis is leading the joint symposium
(IAGA, IACS, IAG, IAHS, IAMAS, IAPSO, IASPEI, IAVCEI) > JA
(IACS, IAHS, IAMAS, IAPSO, IAVCEI, IAPSO) > JC
(IAG, IACS, IASPEI) > JG
(IAHS, IAMAS, IAG) > JH
(IAMAS, IAHS, IACS, IAVCEI) > JM
(IAPSO, IACS, IAGA, IAHS, IAMAS, IAG, IASPEI, IAVCEI) > JP
(IASPEI, IAG, IAVCEI) > JS
(IAVCEI, IASPEI, IAG) > JV
The scientific program also comprises 9 keynote Union lectures, to be given during the second morning session on three days of the Assembly.
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
ONLINE ABSTRACT SUBMISSION
ONLINE PARTICIPANT REGISTRATION
GENERAL & DEADLINES
• Abstracts MUST be submitted via the online submission system by the given deadline of February 18, 2019
• Abstracts will be reviewed by the Symposia Conveners and will be selected for oral or poster presentations. The preference for oral/poster presentation may be indicated while submitting the abstract.
• Abstracts can be amended any time until the deadline of February 18, 2019 through the abstract submission system.
• Abstracts received after the deadline cannot be accepted and therefore will not be considered for the program or publication.
• It is commonly understood that Authors of accepted papers have the financial resources to pay all personal expenses incurred including assembly registration, production of their presentation, travel and accommodation during the Conference.
The exceptions are the IUGG travel grant awardees, who will get a partial financial support to attend the IUGG General Assembly (IUGG GRANT APPLICATION will be published by 1st November, 2018).
• Each submitter and the presenting author will be notified about the abstract acceptance/rejection via e-mail, by March 30, 2019.
• A confirmation of acceptance notification and a paid-up abstract submission administrative fee will be required in order to have the abstract published in the 27th General Assembly Abstract Book. Should the author not follow either of these, the organizer reserves the right not to include the author’s work in the Abstract book.
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION ADMINISTRATIVE FEE
• An administrative fee of 35 € will be required per each abstract submission.
• The abstract submission fee is a nonrefundable processing fee, and not based on approval of your abstract submission or attendance at the 27th General Assembly. Refunds will not be issued for abstracts that are withdrawn.
• Any amendments within your abstract can be done free of charge using the online submission system until the Abstract Submission Deadline. After this deadline, edits cannot be made.
• The only method of payment accepted for the abstract submission administrative fee is by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) in the abstract submission system. Bank transfers and other methods cannot be accommodated.
• VAT (Applies to European institutions only): If your institution will be reimbursing or paying your registration fee, please select to have the VAT included on your invoice when you complete your registration.
• The abstract submission fee does not register you for the General Assembly, separate registration fees apply. All presenters must register in order to attend the General Assembly. Registration can be accessed here.
• When submitting your abstract, consider and choose first the category and the specific symposium, which you wish to have your abstract allocated in (please refer to the list of categories & symposia). Note that the symposia conveners reserve the right to decide on the final assignment upon the abstract evaluation.
IMPORTANT: Union symposia are based on solicited talks. If you submit your paper to Union symposia, the contribution can be ONLY presented as a poster.
• Submitter must clearly indicate the presenting author and can include up to 15 co-authors or eventually a group of authors (et al., or team name).
• An abstract should contain maximum of 250 words. The system shows how many words are left to the limit.
• Titles should consist of no more than 20 words and a “First letter capitalized” format should be used
(eg. My Abstract for the 27th IUGG General Assembly will be Presented in Montreal)
• All abstracts must be written in English or in French.
• You can choose from the following presentation types: oral, poster or no preference. In case of no preference the convener will decide on the final presentation type for you.
DISCLOSURE OF INTEREST
The intent is to provide high-quality sessions focused on educational content free of commercial influence or bias. We ask all presenters to co-operate in this by:
• declaring any potential conflict of interest on a disclosure section of the abstract submission
• do not include company names
Should you have difficulties in submitting your abstracts or you need further information, please contact the IUGG 2019 Scientific Program Secretariat at email@example.com or by phone at +420 261 174 312.